Happy Tuesday! Ugh, I don’t know about you guys but this week is EXHAUSTING. Only Tuesday? Really? Are you sure. Wahh. Anywayys, this week I’m 100% percent feeling the fail of the fact that I didn’t do any prep cooking for this week…not only for sanity of time, but also my bank account. Ouch, tough to buy lunch every day…whoops.
Last week, I whipped up this superr easy quinoa salad and used it all week as a 2-minute throw together lunch and I totally wish I had it ready to go this week. I mixed up a big bowl on Sunday night, let it marinate all night and then topped a big bowl of spinach with about a cup of the mixture, and boom! Lunch is served!
Quick mix Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
– 1 cup uncooked quinoa
– 2 cups water
– 1 can black beans
– 1 avocado
– 1 cup frozen corn, organic if possible
– 1 garlic clove
– 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tsp ginger
– lime juice; I used 1 whole lime! (about 2 tablespoons)
– 1/2 tablespoons honey
– 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– 1/4 cup fresh packed cilantro leaves (optional if you don’t like cilantro)
1. Rinse quinoa. Add quinoa and water to lidded pot and bring to a boil. Cook quinoa according to package.
2. While quinoa is cooking, Add garlic, olive oil, ginger, lime juice, honey and vinegar into mixing bowl and whisk together. You can also add the cilantro in this step if you’re using.
3. Rinse and drain beans, Add to mixing bowl.
4. Add corn to bowl. The corn can still be frozen since you should let marinate, if you’re serving right away use fresh corn or rinse under warm water to bring to room temperature. (Of note, not suggested to serve right away. The flavors really need to “grow” overnight.)
5. By this time, the quinoa should be just about ready. Drain any excess water and let cool. Once cooled, add to mixing bowl and stir together. Make sure to “fold” in the dressing.
6. Once mixed, let marinate for at least 4 hours (best to do overnight!). If you are serving in 1-batch you can add the avocado (diced) prior to letting marinate. Since I was eating it throughout the week I would just add a little diced avocado in the morning to avoid it turning brown overnight.