I have a major hidden talent. I think I would be safe to bet that my boyfriend thinks it may be one of my most redeeming qualities. The best way to really hone a skill and build a true talent is to continually practice, right? My hidden talent? I can make anything, and I mean pretty much anything into a taco.
Tacos may be one of the most versatile foods possible…behind pizza of course. I mean any food that can a breakfast, lunch/dinner, or dessert? Talk about a super food #amirite? Justtt kidding. The tricky thing about tacos is that, just like many versatile foods, they can quickly be a calorie BOMB. Just a healthy grilled chicken taco, BOOM sour cream, BOOM cheese, BOOM flour tortillas…. you get the point.
My quick tip? Instead of the shell I go for a taco salad each time, just toss whatever ingredients from the tacos onto a bed of spinach and you’re already saving some calories and getting an extra veggie serving. Typically, I will aim to avoid the cheese all together and add a little avocado to get the creamy-ness I’m missing from the sour cream. You can also sub in plain Greek yogurt for sour cream. Barely taste the difference! I will often add a little bit of chili powder to the yogurt to add a little Mexican flair if I’m feeling sassy.
So, last week I got started on a new variety of taco that was inspired by our CSA share for this week. With a whole bunch of fresh peaches looking like they weren’t going to last to the weekend I decided to whip up some fresh mango and peach salsa to top grilled chicken tacos just to keep it simple during the week. All in all I whipped up a batch of tacos in about 20 minutes; which for me is a quick recipe!
Hope you enjoy it!
Chicken Tacos with Mango Peach Salsa
1 small onion
2 jalapenos (remove seeds for less spice!)
2 medium tomatoes
1 small-medium mango
¼ cup water
1 tsp garlic; chopped
1 tsp paprika
½ fresh lime
2 chicken breasts
Spinach or another green
Cheese, shredded (optional)
- Dice raw chicken and let cook on stove top for 10-15 minutes or until done. Add paprika and lime juice to season.
- Chop 1 tomato and place into food processor (chopper or blender works too!) with water. Pulse tomato into liquid.
- Add 1 tsp garlic (or to your liking!). Squeeze in lime juice.
- Chop/dice onion, jalapenos, tomato, peaches, and mango. Add to chopper and pulse slightly. Should still have chunks!
- Top tortilla (or salad!) with grilled chicken, greens, fresh salsa and any other toppings you choose!